Today’s make was actually a somewhat last-minute brainstorm, stitched up in the days right before Morgan and I met up in the UP at a beautiful lighthouse for the weekend. I’m ever so glad I did, because this dress both fit in perfectly with the nautical theme of the trip and is the easiest little dress to wear — I want to make a dozen more!
I was inspired by the currently-very-popular Doe & Deer Myosotis Dress, which is wonderfully adorable. However, even in their extended size range, D&D don’t go up to my measurements. I could get it and do my usual pair of FBAs, bust and bicep (and might at some point in the future, if I want one with the original neckline detail), but I didn’t have enough time this time around.
Instead, I pulled out my Cashmerette Montrose again! Similar to my floral mesh dress, I used the upper part of the bodice, cutting it just below the waist and straightening the sides a bit. I added small darts at the back waist to give a bit more shaping — if you do this, make sure it will fit over your chest as the waist is a fixed width.
I used the same technique of adding a button band as I did for Morgan’s moon shirt, cutting the band on the bias. The buttonholes and buttons are stitched with red thread, adding a little pop. If you wanted this look, you could easily do a false button band just stitched down the center of the bodice, since you don’t really need to unbutton it to get it on or off.
The sleeves I shortened a bit and added a bias-cut ruffle. I was running out of fabric, so the ruffle is a bit narrow — I’ll make it bigger and more dramatic next time! The skirt is three full widths, selvage to selvage, with in seam pockets on either side of the front panel.
The fabric, picked up on a whim from Joann’s, has a bit of a crinkled texture that works so well for this loose silhouette. It’s lovely for hot summer days! I think it would also be splendid in linen or even a mid-weight wool for winter. Hmmm, better check my stash!