The end of 2017 and beginning of 2018 shaped up to be quite the shirtmaking period for me! First I had my Harrison tuxedo shirt, then my Strawberry Thief shirt, Morgan’s Negroni, my Queer Fairy Tale shirt, and now this gorgeous floral poplin sewn up into a Cashmerette Harrison.
The Harrison fit me nicely almost straight from the package; the first one I made a year ago still feels great on me even with only a few adjustments. This time, I grabbed the pattern as I had used it for my tuxedo shirt hack and didn’t make any further adjustments and…I should have. The adjustments I made for that version were specific to how I wanted it to wear/look and don’t apply here, plus because of my rushed timeline on the last one I ended up with some errors. It’s still very wearable, but because I sewed the last one up really quickly I didn’t document some of the issues to fix and then forgot about them. Basically, there’s some futzing with the sleeve cap/armscyth still to do, some corrections to the neckline, which is now a smidge too small for the collar stand, and truing up of the side seams, which fell out of alignment with some of the adjustments I made.
I do like that it fits more closely over my waist now, because it tucks in really cleanly. I’ll probably add back 1″ of length at the hem after making the side seam adjustments, because looking at it untucked here the length isn’t quite right.
But: the good! I LOVE the print on this fabric. It’s a cotton poplin made for Mood, and the print is crisp and vibrant. The fabric is quite firm and closely woven, which isn’t my favorite to work with but does mean it tends to look crisp even after hours of wear (when these outdoor photos were taken!) The fit on the Harrison is always good, even with my nitpicky eye, and I love that it doesn’t gape and fits close to my body.
The busy, all-over print is really good for the Harrison, which uses two front and one back princess seam on either side to shape, which make matching any directional fabric really tricky.
I think I’m getting pretty decent at making collars! I do still want to dive into better interfacing (there’s a bit of wrinkling here, with such a firm fabric), but so many collars and collar stands later mean I have a system I mostly like in place.
The other thing I love are the angled cuffs I made this time! It’s a very small detail but gives me pleasure each time I see them.
I’ve already worn it a couple times, including to the first class I taught this semester, and I feel really good in it. The dark base of the floral means it works across seasons!