I’ve had this floral ponte fabric for two years, with the ongoing intention of making a paneled, close-fitting sheath dress, but I kept getting held up. I found a couple of likely patterns, but knowing that I would need to do a FBA and other adjustments to get it to fit perfectly kept me from attacking it.
Then, I went out dancing. I wore a princess-seamed paneled ponte dress that I’ve always adored the fit of, but don’t wear a lot because of the short length. A quick inspection of the seamlines showed that it wouldn’t be hard to trace off in pattern form, so out came the tracing paper!
It is constructed with three panels front and back, both with princess seams, and a neckline facing. I ended up only making a few tweaks to my sketched pattern after basting the body together and trying it on, though if I make it again, I’ll probably scoop a little more out of the armholes in the front and do a small swayback adjustment.
I pegged the skirt in a little at the hem by curving in each of the panel seamlines just a smidge, and after wearing it I think I could bring it in even a little more if I wanted. I’m envisioning a plain navy version, perhaps with a deeper scoop neck and a neckline band, which would be perfect for some summer travels I have coming up! I also have a good two yards of this fabric left, so I’m envisioning a skirt and crop top coordinate set as well.